Monday 16 January 2012

talking about my generation


As Travis once sang (whilst Fran still had hair & before he got too serious), I'm tied to the 90's.  This was my decade, it was the decade that shaped me as an adult.  I entered 1990 as a 16 year old and left a 26 year old woman. 

The 90s was the decade I did my A-levels, fucked up my A-levels, re-took one and eventually went to university.  I found and lost several loves (not too many as I was a good girl), snogged LOTS of boys ( I wasn't that good), made many life long friends and met my husband to be.  I started my career and lost my Dad. 

So as you see it has major significance.

I loved the 90s, I was young and free (although probably didn't appreciate those years of no responsibility as much as I should have).  The music is ingrained in me.  I will always be an Indie / Brit Pop girl.  It features heavily on my ipod play list and I often put it on.  I wonder what my girls will make of Jarvis Cocker when they are older ('you used to fancy HIM Mum??!!').  He sits in my heart even now, I still fancy him beard & all.

The noughies were also extremely significant for me as marriage and babies arrived in that decade but I will always be tied to the 90s....

Take it away Fran....



(see, he's almost smiling)

1 comment:

  1. Its funny how tied to a decade or two you can get, and how much the music can just transport you instantly to it...for me the late 90s/early 00s still conjure up such vivid recollections....some not quite so wanted!!

    ReplyDelete