Tuesday 17 July 2012

My Life Drama

This past few weeks have been as they say, a bit of an emotional roller coaster. 

A few months ago Mr DOMADQ overheard a conversation at his work about him and how they were plotting to try & get him to leave.  This naturally caused a great deal of stress and anxiety to us both.  He did his best to turn things around but things became untenable and he went off sick with stress.

After several weeks off he returned to find that he had been shifted sideways into a lesser role.  'We know how this goes from here' we said, we have watched them do this to other people time and time again, paying over the odds for a minion they simply either encourage people to move on or 'manage them out'.  Knowing fully well this was likely to happen he took the nettle by the horns (or some such mixed metaphor) and highlighted the situation to HR.  Angling  for redundancy, praying that they wouldn't just invite him to leave.

His 1st meeting about this was mid last week and by Friday they had drawn up a compromise agreement.  Negotiations continued on Monday morning & but the afternoon he was a free man.  Although he didn't walk away with quite as much as we would have liked, he walked away with some cash & his dignity.  I cannot say what company he worked for here for fear of reprisals (he won't get the cash in his account until the end of next week) and I can't use the words I would like to describe what a bunch of bullies and unpleasant people who make up the management at that place.  It is a toxic environment. 

Insisting people work late nights and weekends with no overtime or time in lieu is not the best working practice.  A belief that the workers are all to blame for any misgiving and that they should all be glad to work there, that the company is top of it's game - not really what I call great management skills.  Feedback such as 'It's all shit' really isn't very helpful.  The company is the top of it's field but it's treatment of staff is reknown for being terrible.

I am a great believer in karma and I believe that these people will get what's coming to them.

And so, what now?  Mr D obviously wants a break as he is well and truly burntout.  And then what? He wants to try and do something for us rather than others.  I have to have faith in him, I know he can achieve anything he sets his mind to (chips & beans - private joke).  But the thought of it scares me shitless.  I feel like I have just made a leap and I'm not entirely sure the bungee cord is tied on.  Are we going to bounce or end up in a mess on the concrete? 

Tune in to the next chapter of my life drama to find out...

5 comments:

  1. I have no experience of such thing but it sound like hes better of out of that place. Good luck. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you x I know he is better off out & hopefully his stress levels & night sweats will subside now. It's just a bit scary.

      Delete
  2. I think a lot of things will become calmer and easier to deal with now he just has some headspace. Onwards and upwards and success is the best revenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, just had the fear a bit yesterday (it didn't help that I'd been awake since 5am mulling things over). I know without a shaddow of a doubt that he is better off out of there. We just need to catch our breath, take stock & move on...

      Delete
  3. In order to be full you must first be empty! Good things will happen! It wont seem like it at sall at the moment but new opportunities will arise and he will find work that he enjoys. The place sounds horrendous and I have to say the same as everyone else ...you are much better of without it. Work is not worth it, take care of yourselves and enjoy your life and avoid energy sucking shitty people..and jobs! xx

    ReplyDelete