So today is Bands that I've seen. So in no particular order & also including individual artistes..
1) PULP at the BIC, Finsbury Park, Brixton Academy (amazing venue but the sloping floor kill your calf muscles), Wireless Festival in Hyde Park, Brixton Academy (again) - I kind of love them. Jarvis Cocker; funny, clever, slightly odd but damn sexy (even with a beard)
I was closer to the front than this!
3) The Hothouse Flowers
4) Jesus Jones
5) Jellyfish - I loved that album
6) and INXS. Amazing. When they came on stage I heard someone screaming their head off. Turns out it was me. Michael Hutchins was sex on legs. Beautiful.
7) Went to see U2 at Wembley Stadium for the Zoo TV tour. They were amazing. We ended up in corralled in a standing section at the front. I went with a friend who was a huge fan & his face lit up like a small boy when they came on stage. We missed the last train home & so I had to call my dad who got to Charing Cross in about 20 minutes (from the 'burbs) & then ended dropping everyone home.
8) They were supported by Big Audio Dynamite 2 (yeah me neither) who started every track with their back to the audience & then turned round. I was really gutted because Bjork supported on one of the other nights.
9) PJ Harvey whilst she was still grungy & had very hairy arm pits.
10) Dodgy played at a ball at university. Thinking about this makes me smile as a) whenever my parents back out of our drive at home onto the busy road they always said "Shhhh. DODGY" and also because someone I know got caught shagging up against their van at the ball.
11) The drummer from The Fratelli's played at a wedding I was at
12) I went to see Cliff Richard when I was about 10. I wasn't really a fan but my friend's mum was a huge fan. We liked the laser show.
13) Have seen loads of bands at Proms in the Park (besides the BBC orchestra). Lionel Ritchie who was fab
14) Jools Holland with his big band (& Sam Browne) who get everyone up & dancing on a freezing cold evening in Hyde Park
15) Simply Red - "Simply awful" we said
16) The Bootleg Beatles - it amused me that they stayed in character in between songs
17) Bjorn again - ditto
18) The Tide - a covers band at a pub at Stockwell. They were great. We were very drunk. They left the stage like rock stars grabbing people's hands.
19) James performing at the BBC
20) Natalie Imbruglia at The Town & Country Club (not sure if it still was called that then). I sat next to a very strange middle aged man who called out "Natalie!" to himself and whenever she said "Thank you" he said "No, thank you"
21) Kylie Minogue at Wembley Arena. I was 18. It was during her faux Madonna phase.
22) At the Pulp Finsbury Park gig Catatonia - supported. I love Ceris. I sang along to all the songs in a dodgy Welsh accent (well you have to don't you)
23) Bernard Butler also supported Pulp. He got really pissy as he was on earlier on in the day & people were just sitting around and not paying full attention to him.
24) Grace Jones supported Pulp at Wireless. She was amazingly nuts, hoola hooping in a leotard.
25) I went to the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party in 1991. I can't remember who performed apart from Carter USM as one of them rugby tackled Phillip Schofield
26) Went to see Jason Donovan in Joseph (not sure if that's cheating)
27) Prince at Earls Court. He was AMAZING. Midget man oozed sex appeal. Diamonds & Pearls
28) Blur at the Town & County club, early days when they had only released one single. I went with my friend who I was secretly in love with. We watched several really shit support bands, my friend's friends drank too much cider & threw up, my friend came out to me & we left before Blur came on.
29) S Club 7 - my friend got tickets. We were the oldest ones there without kids.
30) S Club Juniors did their first performance there
31) Badly Drawn Boy at an Amnesty International gig. He was brilliant & very funny. He started a Mexican wave.
32) Kelly Jones also performed at that gig. Gorgeous voice, handsome man.
33) Lick who were a 90s band, in a place in Camden
34) Freak Power played at my Fresher's Ball at university.
I couldn't remember what this track was called until I googled it
35) Take That as a 4 at the Milton Keynes Bowl. Went with 2 other friends we got horribly lost on the way there and couldn't believe the ice cream van there charged £3.50 for a 99!!
36) They were supported by Beverly Knight
37) and the Sugababes who did a cover of Obsession which is probably my favourite 80's/one hit wonder ever
(obviously not the Sugababes but I love love this song)
38) Take That as a 5 at Wembley Stadium. AMAZING
39) Robbie Williams performed a set on his own. Always my favourite but a bit of a Sweary Mary that night
40) Supported by The Pet Shop Boys who were camp, quirky & fabulous.
41) Roger Walters performing The Wall at the O2. The night before all of Pink Floyd joined him on stage. Seats so high in the gods I was afraid I would fall. Went with Mr D his thing really, if I'm honest I found it a bit dull (but shhh don't mention that to him)
When I first started doing this I was under the impression that I haven't been to many gigs, but on reflection maybe I have seen one or two. Undoubtedly I've missed some off the list and there are still gigs I would love to go to. I think this list proves that my taste in music is eclectic.